Monday 26 January 2015

Ninja Prawns with avocado oil

- Mummy, did you say you are cooking Ninja Prawns for dinner?
- Not Ninja. Ginger...


seafood


I couldn't disappoint my little man, how could I? Ninja prawns sound much more fun than simply ginger prawns. I was planning to cook a quick vegetable stir-fry with noodles to serve with the steamed prawns. A Vietnamese friend taught me many years ago how to cook the prawns, marinated in ginger, garlic and lemon juice. She never added salt to this dish, saying that the salt should be offered in a small dish mixed with ground pepper to dip the prawns in.

Last week I received three bottles of Mokhado oils. Mokhado is a new brand of oils from Limpopo region of South Africa. I will be testing all oils and writing posts as I use them in cooking.

oil


The first oil I tried was Avocado oil.
"This super versatile oil has a smooth yet grassy flavour, making it brilliant for high heat stir frie and general frying, as well as making delicious raw vinaigrettes or finishing dishes with a drizzle. And there's health benefits too- studies have shown that regular consumption of Avocado oil improves the ratio of good to bad cholesterol. It also contains Vitamin E, a natural anti-oxidant".

It has a lovely fresh aroma and tastes just like a blitzed avocado. I used it in the vegetable stir-fry, and also as an ingredient for marinade for prawns.



Ninja prawns
Ingredients:
150g fresh prawns
1 heaped tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2tbsp avocado oil
2tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1tbsp soy sauce

In a medium-sized bowl mix the grated ginger with the avocado oil, lemon juice, soy sauce and crushed garlic. Add the prawns and stir well. Marinade for at least an hour before cooking.
I used a deep ceramic pudding bowl but a smaller size Pyrex will do as well.
Place the bowl with prawns in a big pan filled with the hot boiling water that would reach about half-length of the pudding bowl. Cover the big pan with lid and cook for about 7+ minutes, the prawns will turn pink.
Serve with slices of lemon if you wish, or with noodles and vegetable stir fry.

Avocado oil was a perfect ingredient in this dish. It added the depth of flavour and worked well with the other ingredients.

To learn more about Mokhado oils and get delicious recipe ideas visit Mokhado.

Disclosure: I received three bottles of oil for the purposes of testing and reviewing. All opinions are mine.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Ninja prawns are so much more fun, but as I totally adore prawns anyway, this was always going to be a winner for me!

    #UKBloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prawns are fab with pasta or noodles, so tasty.

      Delete
  2. Loving the ninja prawns and the teenage mutant turtles getting in on the act :) I have never heard of these oils, must have a look for them. I can think of lots of uses for the different flavours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried macadamia oil, also excellent. I haven't seen them in shops yet.

      Delete